Friday, July 31, 2009

Mom, I'm getting married....

We met August 2, 2001. That was a month before 911. Neither one of us will forget that day. We used to wake up with the clock radio playing late jazz. Hey- Don't judge!

That day the radio was doing frantic news reports. We woke up in that silly super single murphy bed that folded out of the closet and laid there listening to all the chaos unfolding. Jeremy asked me to please drive all the way around Seattle so I wouldn't go under the convention center. It was just to risky in his mind. I still go a little pitter pat when I think of the look on his face when he asked me to not question it and to just do it because he asked. He already was looking out for me in a way that no one ever had.

December of that year, we sat on the Bremerton Ferry coming back from his parents house. He had been giddy for days. He kept sneaking around and asking others if they'd like to see my present but wouldn't show me. I thought it was earrings. I really wanted a pair and had specifically asked for gold hoops. He teased me most of that ferry ride about having to wait for Christmas. It was two days before I think. He finally asked if I really REALLY wanted my gift. I of course was freaking out. He said to close my eyes and open up my hand. I did and he placed a small black box in my hand. I still at this point was thinking earrings.

I opened the box and just stared at it. A simple gold band...... "What is this? What does this mean?" He told me it was a promise ring. "A promise of what?" He tells me it's a promise of more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment